The Thuy Nguyen Scholarship
The scholarship has been established by Cuong Trinh, Trang Trinh, Quyen Trinh and An Trinh in memory of their beloved mother, Mrs. Thuy Nguyen.
In 1975, Thuy Nguyen fled Vietnam and started a new life in the United States along with her husband and their four children. To support their family, Mr. Ky Trinh and Mrs. Nguyen each worked at two full-time jobs to provide for their children. With her background and in those circumstances, Mrs. Nguyen saw clearly the benefits of an education, and she strongly encouraged her children to take advantage of the opportunities America provided by excelling in their academic work. This focus on education was one of the enduring gifts to her children. They are greatly indebted to their mother and have created this scholarship program to honor their mother and to pass on her legacy.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
Candidates must meet the following criteria to be eligible for this scholarship:
- Any graduating High School Senior from the Houston or surrounding area
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Is a descendant of at least one Vietnamese parent
- Family annual income of less than $50,000
$2,000 (prize will be rewarded to student’s college of choice)
(Note: The scholarship will be awarded to a new candidate each Freshmen year.)
In 1000 words or less, what does being Vietnamese American mean to you and how does it affect your life?
Essays must be in Microsoft word, typed and double spaced.
Along with the essay, please include in one Microsoft Word Document a cover letter with your name, address and date of birth.
Application Process ChecklistOnline Process:
- Complete online application: 2011 Form
- Upload resume with online application (Only one needed for all scholarships).
- Upload essay with cover letter with online application
- Send ONE transcript (good for all scholarships you are applying to) to:
Vietnamese American Scholarship Foundation
P.O. Box 429
Stafford, TX 77497
- Submit recommendation online (Only one needed for all scholarships): Recommendation Form
- Please send, by mail, a copy of your parents W-2 forms and a photo to:
135 East 57th Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Any questions about the scholarship can be directed to email@example.com
Deadline: May 2, 2011