The VASF Cultural Bridges Fellowship
The Vietnamese American Scholarship Foundation (VASF), in partnership with Friends of Hue Foundation (FHF), is pleased to introduce its first fellowship program – the VASF Cultural Bridges Fellowship, starting summer 2011.
The Cultural Bridges Fellowship is a summer program that provides an opportunity for service-minded students to connect with Vietnam and the Vietnamese people. Fellows will have a chance to custom design and implement full-time, summer service projects that address needs within Vietnam.
During the summer, fellows will be working closely with FHF. The primary mission of FHF is to provide assistance to impoverished people and victims of natural disasters in Thua Thien Hue province of Central Vietnam. Aligning with the vision to improve the quality of life for people in Central Vietnam, FHF has initiated programs such as:
- Mobile health clinics
- Health education and awareness
- Vocational training
- Micro-finance and Social Microenterprise Initiative
- Shelter for orphans and disadvantaged children in Hue City
Fellows should become familiar with FHF's programs and think of innovate ways to expand on these programs or come up with alternative ideas that address similar needs that these programs fulfill.
Fellows are also encouraged to draw upon their academic background, prior experiences, and personal interests when designing service projects. This will allow the projects to be personally meaningful to the fellow, while maximizing the fellow’s contribution.
Each Cultural Bridges Fellow receives a base stipend of $2,500 award to support travel and living expenses during the summer.
The Cultural Bridges Fellowship is designed for college students and recent graduates from the past 5 years who are willing to devote their summer to a project. Fellows are required to work on their project for at least 35 hours/week for 9 consecutive weeks. Other commitments include the following:
- Complete preparatory readings
- Design a personal learning plan for the summer and meet with staff to review
- Develop a detailed budget for how your $2,500 stipend will be allocated
- Update VASF with changes to contact information
- Submit a brief mid-summer report
- Submit a final report and complete a program evaluation
- Attend a de-briefing meeting/conference call for the purpose of reflecting upon and evaluating summer projects
- Be an ambassador of the program by sharing your experience and help publicize the program
Fellows Apply Here
Find out application requirements and application process for the Cultural Bridges Fellowship.
Deadline: March 18, 2012
To submit a recommendation for one of this year's fellowship applicants, please follow the link below.
Past Fellowship Projects
Learn more about what past fellows have worked on, and their experiences in Vietnam.